The exhaust emissions of the conventional Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) vehicles are the major source of air pollution in the cities. Use of ICE vehicles aggravates the depletion of global oil deposits, environmental and health issues. To realize a low-carbon society, electric vehicles are becoming more popular. Electric vehicles (EVs) offer an alternative to hybrid and conventional vehicles by using electric motor drive without diesel / petrol consumption. In Indian cities, people are experiencing air pollution caused by the vehicle exhaust emissions and related health problems. Therefore, there is an urgent need for an alternative, sustainable and green mobility solution. Some of the major activities in the area are as follows:
- Development and demonstration of an EV Retrofitment Kit for electric conversion of in-use IC engine vehicle into an Electric Vehicle.
- Studies and development of a Hybrid Energy Control Unit for a Hybrid Energy Storage System (HESS) for EV Application.
- Studies and development of EV Charging and Battery Swapping Station.
- Studies on Super-capacitors for EV application.
- Studies on Energy Consumption for EVs.
- Performance studies for EVs.