Doctoral Advisory Committee is constituted for each PhD student to provide advice, support and mentorship to the student during the course of their research work. They are meant for monitoring progress and initiating dialogue and discussion that will aid the student in achieving his or her research goals quickly and meaningfully.
- The coordinator of the Academy for the CSIR-IIP, in consultation with the Director of the CSIR-IIP, shall constitute a Doctoral Advisory Committee for each student as soon as the thesis supervisor is assigned with recommendation of Dean and the recommendation is approved by the Chairperson, Senate
- In addition to the thesis supervisor, the Doctoral Advisory Committee shall have three more members of whom two members from the same research area as recommended by the supervisor and one member nominated by the Director of laboratory of the CSIR-IIP from different field of research
- The Doctoral Advisory Committee shall recommend that the academic courses required to be completed by each Ph.D student keeping in view the minimum credits requirement in accordance with the guidelines of the Academy
- The Doctoral Advisory Committee shall review the progress of the research work on continuous basis and meet at least once in a year and shall advise on the next course of action
- The Doctoral Advisory Committee may recommend the date for submission of the thesis
- The coordinator of the Academy for the CSIR-IIP shall report to the Dean of the details of the Doctoral Advisory Committee and obtain necessary approval from time to time
- The functions of the Doctoral Advisory Committee and the time frame for carrying out the functions shall be as specified in the following Table, namely:-
|No.||Doctoral Advisory Committee Meeting Number||Function of Doctoral Advisory Committee||Time Frame|
|1||(1)||Discussion on the topic of research to be pursued, questions to be addressed and other topics||Any time before the end of the third semester|
|2||(2)||Finalization of PhD proposal||During or within six months of the comprehensive examination|
|3||(3)||Monitoring the progress of the student work||Before the end of sixth semester|
|4||(4)||PhD colloquium||Two weeks before submission of thesis|
Note: No two consecutive Doctoral Advisory Committee meetings shall be held within a span of two months.