- Closely working with the government and industry, the Division shares the CSIR tradition of excellence and has acclaimed national leadership in catalysis research of industrial relevance in the areas of petroleum refining, clean energy, and biofuels.
- Many fundamental discoveries made in the Division are in final stages of discussions for commercial applications in the hydrocarbon industry like the process for room temperature biodiesel and the recent development of non-precious metal-based catalyst and process for the production of drop-in biofuels specifically Bio-jet fuel.
- With a team of more than a dozen scientists and technical staff, the Division provides a unique environment that fosters groundbreaking research in two areas catering to the conversion of renewable oils into green transportation fuels, lubricants, and chemicals, namely, (1) Biofuels Esterification Area and (2) Hydroprocessed Renewable Fuels Area. These are well aligned with the national priority of energy from renewables.
- The Divisional research impact can be gauged by a large number of highly cited publications, and patents. The Division has linkages with many national and international laboratories.
- The Division’s work led to India’s First biofuel Flight on 27 August 2018 flown by Spicejet, and also to first biofuel flight of Indian Air Force on Republic Day, 26th January 2019 flypast on Russian An-32 aircraft.
Bio Fuels Division
|Dr Anil Kumar Sinhafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr Neeraj Atrayemail@example.com|
|Dr Saleem Akhtar Farooquifirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr Anand Mohitemail@example.com|
- Development of new generation general purpose machinery oils and precision instrument oils for micro electromechanical Systems (MEMS)
- Development of ecofriendly/biodegradable Industrial Gear Oils ISO-VG-68
- Studies on the development of deep eutectic solvents as biolubes/ bioadditives
- Processes for Production of biolubricants and biodiesel from Yeast Lipid (DBT sponsored)
- Development of continuous process of bio-diesel production using coiled rector
- Technology demonstration and process flexibility for production of Bio-Aviation fuels FTT-MLP: 135719 (OLP0983)
- The Indian Consortium for Advanced Biojet Fuel Technologies (Ic-ABFT)
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- Biotech Research Society, India (BRSI)
- International Society of Energy, Environment and Sustainability (FISEES)
- Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC)